Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Component selection for 600 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

eee100

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I am designing an amplifier and a filter that will work around 500-600 MHz connected to a directional antenna. I was focusing on smt components and was trying to design an RF pcb and adjust pcb traces to 50 ohms. But now I am thinking if it is possible to use through hole components and a standard pcb. Should I really be strict about the components and the pcb around those frequencies?

Thank you :)

Hi,
for 600MHz, and todays, is a new design so far possible is to make with SMD comps, their parasitics are less, & more better will be your design quality...
An SMD board is todays "A Normal Board"!:)
You must select all components clear for High frequency _especially THT types...
K.

Most consumer electronic devices, including 2.45 GHz WLAN, terrestric and sat-TV tuners are using standard PCB substrates,
mostly FR4. For obvious reasons, assembly technique is SMT.

If you have the opportunity to take a close look at an old TV tuner or other UHF device, you'll see that they use throughole
assembly technique, if they are 20 (possibly) or 30 (more likely) years old. It obviously works. But you have to calculate
series inductances for each component, that are considerably higher than with SMD. That's why designing SMT is much easier.

Thank you for the answers. I am using ADS to design the circuits and using Murata component library. Everything is fine but its not easy to find those components where I live. Actually the hardest part for me is the pcb design part. I don't know the theory very well, I am still learning. All the transmission lines should be 50 ohms as I know. Traces are shorter than lambda/16. So should I be really concerned about the calculation of trace impedances?

Hali eee100,
Also, at such higher frequencies you must calculate every times with RF-relations!
PCB materials can be FR4 with some restrictions up to ~2-4GHz too.
If the lines are so at λ/8-10-16 in all cases, but 50 Ohm or other values: is a question of measurements possibilties & realised circuit, in all cese the In/Outs are to design as 50 Ohm systems...
k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back