Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Component identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chibster

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

So recently ive dismantled my ps4 controller and when i heated up the back side of the circuit board a socket got too warm and melted and now the connector cable doesnt fit anymore in the hole. Ive been searching all around the internet for the loose component but i cant find it.
Can anyone tell me exactly which component this is and maybe where to buy it on the internet? I know its a 12 pin socket but cant find the correct one.. [ATTACH ]165251[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20201030_015359.jpg
    20201030_015359.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 185
Last edited by a moderator:

Six solder pads are visible at one edge of the black plastic. Along with the other six does it match pin spacing of an everyday IC socket?

Does a ribbon cable (12 wire) normally go in the connector? You can insert tiny wires directly in an IC socket. Split the ribbon down the middle so you fit 6 wires on one side and 6 on the other side.

Chibster

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Normally it's connected with a 12 pin flat ribbon cable
I believe the pitch is 1.0mm and it has 6 solder pads on each side.

Isn't it easier to just replace the socket with a new one?

Even if you locate an exact replacement socket, you'll have a major hurdle to remove the melted piece from the circuit board. Heating the board might loosen the plastic, but it might also hurt nearby components. It's easy to lift tiny copper traces off the board, breaking connections which may be unfixable.

The metal construction inside the socket could still be whole despite melted plastic. An easy step that could work is to poke a hot needle into each of the 12 topmost openings, in order to clear them and insert the ribbon cable again. Or an extremely tiny drill bit.

Do you mind explaining detailed or with a video on how this is done best without breaking/destroying anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.