Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Complete micro controller newbie , how to get started with ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

docesam2

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am a complete newbie to all microcontrollers. i have some idea about several x86 programming languages but nothing more.

i have been searching for an answer to my question for weeks now ,evaluating various answers i came across but virtually everything i came across so far assume some degree of familiarity of the basics of microcontrollers in general.

so, how can someone start ARM programming as a hobby from virtually ZERO level ? or ARM is not for me ?

To start from zero level, probably best to get a development board (e.g. something with AT91SAM7S should be fairly cheap - this is just an example). Or you could make your own test board. But please don't code in ARM assembly (or any other processor assembly) unless you really need to - C is just as fast, and there are free compilers! You could use GNU compilers, or IAR have freely downloadable compilers with a 4kB code size limit. If you use the device I mentioned, then you will need a JTAG device - SAM-ICE is about $100 maybe (guess).

By the way, if you are new to all microcontroller programming, then you can do a lot with smaller non-ARM devices too, and then the initial cost for learning is lower. For example, the AVR devices are super-cheap. As an example, the Minimus 32 board is less than $20 and needs no programmer - just plug into the USB port on your PC. For development, just use the free IAR code-limited compiler, and the tools for free on Atmel's site for programming. So, for $20, you have a complete dev platform and C environment.
If you want a complete quick-start guide for beginners, see **broken link removed**.

Last edited:

i am a complete newbie to all microcontrollers. i have some idea about several x86 programming languages but nothing more.

i have been searching for an answer to my question for weeks now ,evaluating various answers i came across but virtually everything i came across so far assume some degree of familiarity of the basics of microcontrollers in general.

so, how can someone start ARM programming as a hobby from virtually ZERO level ? or ARM is not for me ?

My friend you should start from AVR and PIC. My suggestion is MikroC as compiler, its free for up to 2KB code data.

Ah, my edit crossed with your post! Yes, agree, better to start with AVR/PIC.

thank you all. to your (probably) surprise i already have CrossWorks for ARM and the CrossConnect for ARM jTAG adapter. money is not really that a problem to me, i need enjoyment / accomplishment .

i choose crossworks and crossconnect because it seemed like a joy to use ; Microsoft visual studio like experience :smile: , part of it being able to watch variable in memory ...etc thing that make debugging a joy.arduino is so easy to use ,but it has &#!^%$# IDE , not the sort of thing i am looking for.

so,where in the AVR world (maybe PIC world) i can find such environment, crossworks for AVR with a jTAG programmer for AVR for example ?

Not sure that AVR really needs JTAG, because the code tends to be a lot smaller on AVR, so quite easy to debug often.
But I'm sure JTAG helps!
I'm not really familiar with Crossworks I noticed on their website there is a version for AVR. I tend to use IAR
or GCC for everything not because they're the best or worst, but because I was brought up with it for so many years
so kind of used to it.

AVRs have jtag but not in a small models, it exists in mega16/32/64/128....

You could try NETMF.

Uses Visual Studio C# and the micro net framework.
Plenty of ARM based boards and you can use Visual Studio or the free express version for code development and debugging.
Code is written in C# using visual studio for debugging.

**broken link removed**

My friend you should start from AVR and PIC. My suggestion is MikroC as compiler, its free for up to 2KB code data.
most probably this is the answer. but why?
is it that ARM is just another microcontroller like the others : a punch of some commands to master ? no ?

most probably this is the answer. but why?
is it that ARM is just another microcontroller like the others : a punch of some commands to master ? no ?

Its very simple if we read thread question we will immidietly get answer :

AVR and PIC are mostly uC in lots of existing design, project examples, books, you can easier get help and support from someone for PIC and AVR. Copilers, development boards and tools are good for AVR and PIC. Availability of ARM, AVR and PIC uC in shops,.... I dont think that you can buy ARM on every corner.

Of course I dont say that ARM is not for you, you can start with this, why not. Its your choice, would be pleased to see your first project with ARM.

For a hobbyist, who is not interested in low level programming, a FEZ board could be the way to go.

FEZ = Freaking Easy.

Using a very high level language like Visual Studio C# and the Net micro framework, it is possible to build sophisticated devices with touch screen graphical interfaces, wi-fi, internet, usb etc etc with quite an easy learning curve.

Check out the stuff on Cool Components site.

Its very simple if we read thread question we will immidietly get answer :

AVR and PIC are mostly uC in lots of existing design, project examples, books, you can easier get help and support from someone for PIC and AVR. Copilers, development boards and tools are good for AVR and PIC. Availability of ARM, AVR and PIC uC in shops,.... I dont think that you can buy ARM on every corner.

Of course I dont say that ARM is not for you, you can start with this, why not. Its your choice, would be pleased to see your first project with ARM.
that make a lot of sense. until now i haven't seen any ARM book that is suitable for absolute beginners. not even close

Status
Not open for further replies.