Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

compensation capacitor requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junus2012

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

Do we need to connect a compensation capacitor when the second stage gain is less than or equal to unity??

You forgot to mention the context of your question, I guess it's compensation of multistage feedback amplifiers.

To decide about compensation for a particular amplifier structure, you'll want to analyze the uncompensated frequency response and determine feedback stability.

Yes it is about multistage op-amp design

You forgot to mention the context of your question, I guess it's compensation of multistage feedback amplifiers.

To decide about compensation for a particular amplifier structure, you'll want to analyze the uncompensated frequency response and determine feedback stability.

:?::?::?: waiting for discussion guys

it depends on the poles of the system. if output pole and interstage pole are both dominant you will have bad phase margin, and you will need compensation. even if your output stage is source follower with output impedance of 1/gm, if Cout is big enough it can still be dominant pole". since the gain of second stage is 1, a miller cap won't give you extra A*Cc boost on cap at the interstage node, so you can simply stack a cap to supply at interstage node to stablize the system.

i forgot to mention that even though you won't get the A*Cc cap boost at interstage, if your output stage is some sort of common source, the comp cap still pushes your output pole to gm/Cout, helping your PM. just pay attention to the zero introduced by the cap

Hi may I ask what is a good value of phase margin and f3db for an OTA? Can you explain what is the effect if its higher or lower. . .

Hello Nosrej

The phase margin as a measurement of stability for the op-amp when it connected in a resistive f.b circuit, it define you how much you are far from the oscillation which make the circuit unstable, the more you far the more stability. if we know that the oscillation condition phase is 180 then it mean how much you are from 180.
we usually measure this difference at the unity gain frequency point which represent the worst case, it is comparable for the buffer connection to assure its stability if we connect the op-amp like a buffer.

the value of the phase margin should be >= 45, optimally 60, in more also

Thanks another question. What are the other Op-amp parameters that are affected by the phase margin?

Hello,

you have to trade between the stability and the settling time, higher stable doesnt mean faster settling time, so from the range from 45 to 90 you have the optimal value of 60 which give you both good stability and fast response. at 45 give you the minimum stability and slower settling time, at P.M > 60 give you better stability but slower settling time.
see the attachement

I View attachment pp116-123.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back