Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparison of reverse recovery in flyback vs forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizedale

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Comparing a flyback and a 2-transistor forward converter (both CCM)......both suffer reverse recovery of output diodes............but considering the resultant current spike in both topologies, which reverse recovery transient causes the worst EMC problem?....

--is it the flyback's

or the 2-transistor forward converter's

(generally speaking, i.e. if they are of similar power)

Dear grizedale
Hi
Fly back converter , has bad out put spikes and regulation ratio . and you can not get the out put power , more than 350 watt with best designing ! . but the forward converters can give you powers up to 1KW with good ripple rejection ratio (load regulation) . and without bad output spikes(approx) .for more information and designing methodology , you can read books in this field , such as switching power supply design of abraham i press man , or switching power supply cookbook of marty brown or .....
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Thanks,

May i ask what you mean by "Bad output spikes"?

CCM Flyback output diode current peaks are high, but not massivley higher than a Two transistor forward converter.

-in flybacks, ...how high the peaks are depends on how deeply continuous-mode you are......the more deeply continuous-mode, the lower the secondary peak current.

Usally flyback transformers have larger air gap and consequently more leakage inductance that will limit the dI/dt.
on the other hand the current of output diode in flyback is very larger usually because the load current=d.Im but in forward IL=Im.
I guess fly back will generate more EMC because the diode current is 2-5 times of forward converter.

Dear grizedale
Hi
When the stored energy in inductance of transformer , want to supply the load , it will have instantaneous value , ( because of that the on / off time) .
but you can improve it (approximately) with some snubber networks or adding a good filter in your out put .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Mehrshad74:-

Here are 1 Transistor Flyback (CCM) vs Two Transistor Forward currents for supplying the same load of +/-40V, 4A from Vin = 385VDC:-

1. FET Current RMS = 1A95 for Flyback; 2A for Forward
2. FET current peak = 5A12 for Flyback; 5A9 for Forward.
3. Diode Current Peak = 7A6 for Flyback; 6A4 for Forward
4. Output cap ripple = 2A63 for Flyback; 1A3 for Forward

.....each switched at 66.7 KHz.

These numbers are pretty much the same.......there seems to be no reason why a Flyback cannot be used for the 320W power if a Two Transistor Forward can.

So why is the Flyback so hated for these high powers?
-i see no reason other than perhaps a drop in efficiency of maybe 5% due to the switching loss's and loss from the leakage.
-but our application is not bothered about efficiency that much.......its a guitar amplifier power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.