Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Compare Altera & xilinx's FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

aguill

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm in placement and I've to choose a FPGA with a soft/hard core to replace a microcontroler (mpc860 motorola). How can I compare Altera's & Xilinx's Fpga (one uses Logic elements while the other uses logic cells) ?
:oops: :?:

Compare @ltera & xilinx's FPGA

mpc860, As indicated in it's product summary page, is mainly used for making communication devices and at the first stage, I think you should indicate, what you are going to do with it? what kind of data is intended to be processed by this device, the answer to this question is I think necessay before we can talk about which of altera or xilinx, and then, which FPGA is better.

The mpc860 is on a daughtercard placed upon a card containing 2 FPGA which manage E1 to ethernet frames compression /decompression . The MPC860 gives configuration information to the FPGA at the start and manage also a RS485 communication to configure the FPGA with several informations used for compression/decompression (time slots, user preferences...). It makes also statistics on the result of the compression/decompression and gives configuration information to an ASIC which makes the A/D conversion. What a mess !!!

I have to buy a development kit (VIRTEX II Pro or EXCALIBUR) in order to develop the same functions with a soft and/or a hard core before a real study to upgrade the boards. As it's the first time that I have to do such things I'm a bit lost... Does it seems mad to realize it?

Microblaze seems to be faster (125D-MIPS) than NIOS (50D-mips) and I don't see differences in their architecture. Virtex II pro seems to be bigger and faster than Excalibur and it has a powerpc like MPC860 so it would be easier to transfer.

Thanks for your help !

I think XILINX FPGA will be a better choice, not only for its PowerPC hard core inside, but the FPGA architecture(connectivity etc.) and the technical support. XILINX still lead the way to SOC design.

i like xilinx too.
long ago, i use altera's fpga.but now xilinx.

I use both Xilinx and Altera, but I like Xilinx much more than Altera except the PLL stuff of Altera, so if you donot need complex clocking stuff, use Xilinx.

if you comapre in general the altera is better choice
1) it costs less
2) you can use flipflop of LE independent of LUT logic

The problem with quartus tool is inabilty to give diiferent routing algorithms for place and route

Re: Compare @ltera & xilinx's FPGA

shiva_mag said:
2) you can use flipflop of LE independent of LUT logic

ha,ha
all xilinx fpga can do this, on the contrary, only the newest altera fpga has this characteristic.

Altera is cheap than xilinx. ES80 is half price to 2V8000

Frankly speaking, besides the low cost, Altera is becoming better and better, not only the FPGA architecture but the Quartus tool. With the advent of StratixII, the ALMs inside it are really something interesting. By the end of year 2004, Statix-II and Virtex4 (yes, Virtex4), which do you think is the winner??? Let's see it with our own eyes.

Generally you can find more example and free stuff for Xilink platform,
For Altera platform generally all is for money.

I prefer xilinx

I prefer chocolate...

No seriously...if you have to answer like "i like this" it would be nice to also include "why"...

just for the next time...

Xilinx is more easier and good than Altera,
Xilinx is having more resources than Altera to play around the tool,device.
Also xilinx supports memory read,write registered,but altera doesnt

I prefer Xilinx because of the support besides of the silicon chips.

Re: Compare @ltera & xilinx's FPGA

kilone said:
Frankly speaking, besides the low cost, @ltera is becoming better and better

right, but xilinx is still the leader!

Status
Not open for further replies.