Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparator threshold for flash inside pipeline ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello For pipe line ADC 1.5 bit 2.5 Bit or just regular once as shown bellow.
And i could not find why for 1.5 bit we use comparator, Vref=+- 1/4Vref, or how they choose what should be the output of each stage of the comparator.
They just give those two paramters as a fact.
What is the intution i should use in order to see what VREF and what VOUT i need to put for my comparators in piple ADC?
Thanks.

1597247242110.png

1597246256103.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Output of the comparator is always vdd and gnd, it's a comparator after all. The thresholds of the comparator are chosen such that for a given interstage gain you maximize the offset errors that can be tolerated, because this make the comparator design easier.

Hello,how can i see mathematickly that the tollerable offset is maximised?
from what you said earlier the maximal amount is
2Vin-Vr=Vr
Vin=Vr
earlier stage:
2Vin=Vr
Vin=Vr/2
offset = Vr/2-Vr/4=Vr/4

But why its optimised? we can make the central vin range between Vr/2 and -Vr/2 then
offset = Vr/2-Vr/2=0

1597417331317.png

You don't want to have offset 0, because you can not design a comparator with 0 offset. If you allow for bigger offset, the design becomes easier.
Then, if you move the thresholds to +-Vr/2 your gain will have to be different than 2. If you want you can draw this situation.

Yes i know that Zerro tollerable offset which we get for Vin=0.5Vr is zero.
regarding easy or optimal.how do i see the optimal threshold value for this comparator?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back