Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparator that latches for over current condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

with2ls

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Much like treez in:

I need a comparator that latches when an over current condition is sensed. Here is the basic operation flow:
1. CSA output fed to comparator.
2. When CSA output is greater than specified value, comparator changes state and latches.
3. Output of comparator is used to turn off a series FET, disabling power to the load (CSA output will now drop to 0).
4. Microcontroller periodically checks latch condition and attempts to reset the comparator (which re-enables power to the load).

I've implemented a similar design with the INA301 by TI (a CSA and latching comparator integrated into one package), but I now need something for higher voltage rails.

The following circuit adds the latching and resetting functionality to a common comparator, but at the expense of several extra parts (.asc file also attached).
1680205201003.png

Is there a simpler way accomplish the comparator+latch+reset functionality?
Or, are there integrated parts under a different name that I am missing?

Attachments

• Latching Comparator.zip
    955 bytes · Views: 97

Make a SR flip-flop from two cross-biased NPN. One or both sides can be darlington type if you need greater sensitivity. Transistors are available for high-voltage supply. But you can turn an NPN On by 5V at the bias terminal. A SR flip-flop needs only a momentary pulse to make it change state.

I've implemented a similar design with the INA301 by TI (a CSA and latching comparator integrated into one package), but I now need something for higher voltage rails.
How high a voltage?
I've seen some that go to 60V such as this.

Best I came up with your circuit is to replace the reset MOSFET with a diode and resistor (below):
(My LTC1841 model is flaky, showing 200mV of input offset, so I used a different comparator).

1680281448075.png

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll probably use Klaus' suggestion (normal comparator connected D flipflop with a clear).

Hi,
You don't necessarily need a D flipflop, just a set-reset latch.
True. But are there single gate RS flip flops? I once searched for them but could not find.

I only know about the D-FF types.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.