Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

comparator not comparing

Status
Not open for further replies.

root2hell

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i dont understand why this comparator not going in saturation region, even i am using High speed comparator.

i dont understand why this comparator not going in saturation region, even i am using High speed comparator.

I can see that your comparator does function, only the output amplitude is lower than expected.
Overshoots indicate something wrong with the DC power supply. I would suggest to add DC to ground blocking capacitors to the DC power supply, and check signal source impedances. You can reduce comparator gain by a feedback resistor like in an opamp circuit, sometimes it helps.

I can see that your comparator does function, only the output amplitude is lower than expected.
Overshoots indicate something wrong with the DC power supply. I would suggest to add DC to ground blocking capacitors to the DC power supply, and check signal source impedances. You can reduce comparator gain by a feedback resistor like in an opamp circuit, sometimes it helps.

just a suggestion

reduce the pulse to 2V hight
the sine wave is 5VPK-PK it seems = 2.5v PK
therefore the PK value is all ways less than the pulse

still not getting expected output...
:(
and i dont know why i am getting inverted output.
comp_sche_op.JPGcomp_sche.JPG

There are both general and specicfic circuit faults involved

Generally, don't AC-couple a signal to an OP, comparator, transistor etc. without DC bias. In this case, simply omit the series capacitor.

Specifically, LM319 can't work without a pull-up resistor because the output is open collector type. Review the datasheet!

...i am using High speed comparator.
The LM319 needs a pull-up resistor at the outut. Try connecting the right side of R24 to +12V instead of ground.

edit - Oops, cross-post with FvM

The output of this comparator and EVERY OTHER IC with an open collector output needs an output pullup resistor. A pullup is a resistor connected from its output to its positive supply voltage, not connected to ground as you have.
Then the output will be a squarewave and can be used for PWM.

Thanks FvM. Today i get to learn what Open collector type output mean very basic but what can i do if i was not knowing that . :p

Why do you want an integrator?
If the comparator has a pullup output resistor then its output is PWM when it has the 50kHz sinewave and 500kHz triangle wave input signals in your first post.
An integrator is a lowpass filter which is slow. If you integrate the PWM output then you will have a signal the same as the 50kHz sinewave input.

Status
Not open for further replies.