Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

communication(data transmission between parallel ports (25 pin female) of two devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumbal

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am dealing with cnc milling machine in my final year project of B.S
I have to download the G M code (milling program made in Mah3 Mill software) from IBM processor into the control box of milling machine.
Control box and PC both have the female port for parallel communication.
What should be the configration of male connector to have the accurate data transmission between both the DTE(data Terminal equipment) devices and how can I have communication between them..??

The term DTE doesn't apply to parallel interfaces (printer port). I believe that the CNC machine is equiped with a 25 pin serial port connector, but it will most likely connect to a 9-pin male connector at the PC side.

Data transfer through printer ports is possible with different protocols depending on the available printer port standard. It can use Byte-parallel protocol with recent EPC and EPP printer ports and a suitably wired cable.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes FvM have a right.

DTECable.jpg

how can I have communication between 25pin port of cnc mill and 9 pin serial port of PC...?
Is there any such connector or what else..??

how can I have communication between 25pin port of cnc mill and 9 pin serial port of PC...?
Is there any such connector or what else..??

How do you mean ?

There is 25-pin connector male/female, and also there is 9-pin connector male/female.

FvM means Female v/s male...is it...??

- - - Updated - - -

In my project...both devices i.e cnc mill control box and IBm processor have 25 pin female ports...what should I do to have accurate communication between them..?

FvM means Female v/s male...is it...??

- - - Updated - - -

In my project...both devices i.e cnc mill control box and IBm processor have 25 pin female ports...what should I do to have accurate communication between them..?

I followed, and I quoted the your statement in post #4 :

Is there any such connector or what else..??š

- - - Updated - - -

See this :

rs-232_01.gif

**broken link removed**

In my project...both devices i.e cnc mill control box and IBm processor have 25 pin female ports.
As already explained, the "25 pin female port" of the PC is most likely a printer port, while it's RS232 at the CNC machine. You said in your initial post, both are parallel (=printer) ports. Have you any indications, that the CNC port is actually a parallel port? This would be really unusual.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
As already explained, the "25 pin female port" of the PC is most likely a printer port, while it's RS232 at the CNC machine. You said in your initial post, both are parallel (=printer) ports. Have you any indications, that the CNC port is actually a parallel port? This would be really unusual.

My issue is yet not sorted out...the port at CNC control box is 25 pin female port meant for parallel communication...HOw can it be linked/interfaced with 25 pin parallel port of IBM processor..??

There should be an interface specification in the "CNC control box" manual. If the device is designed to be controlled specifically by PCs, a "straight" 1:1 25 pin cable would be my first guess.

The parallel port is supported as a printer by port by standard windows software, for other uses, a driver or control program will be needed.

You put great article for the discussion. Data transmission is a secure process between two networks & channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.