Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

common centriod & interdigitated pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSD_analog

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When do we go for common centroid layouts and when do we go for interdigitated patterns in analog layouts?
I ve read somewhere that Diff amps usually go for common centroid and current mirroring , interdigitated is sufficient ..
Y is this so?

Thanks
HSD

Well, some senior told me that in deep sub-micron, common centroid even interdigitated may be just a superstition. I think that more sensitive is power supply floor plan and dummy device surrounding the diff pair or current mirror.

Common centroid is used to decrease thermal, stress and similar gradients. Submicron process doesn't canceled them. You should do it!

Classically, common centroid was used to improve matching. This had a good effect in old processes with large dimensions and poor process control.

In more modern processes, common-centroid is still useful. However, the routing overhead of using such a structure doesn't justify its use ( given the smaller device dimensions and better process control ). It can be used in the most demanding applications. No need to use it in the less-demanding ones ( e.g. non-critical LDOs, bandgaps, opamps )

Stress effects are becoming more pronounced. These makes the use of dummy devices an absolute necessity, even in the less-demanding designs. Besides, you'd better use multipliers rather than fingers for accurate current-mirroring ( Otherwise the different stresses for different no. of finger will cause serious systematic mismatches )

I just want to add that the above is not based on solid science but more of a speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back