Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Combining multipliers to make larger multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallboy

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to create a 32x32 Unsigned Multiplier using smaller multipliers such as using 16x16 multipliers. My gut feeling is I need to use adders and shifters somewhere, but I just can't figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I seen your post in another thread and did it on paper, but it seems I would need a multiplier for each bit. I want something like two 16x16 multipliers to eventually get to a 32x32 result.

ac + ad + bc + bd suggests four 16x16 multipliers needed, isn't it?

Alright I think I'm starting to understand, I just need to figure out the shifts and partial add spots.

FVM dude

what is (a+b) (c+d) here?

Are they upper and lower 16 bits of the multiplicand and the multiplier?

Alright, figured it out. Just needed four 16x16 multipliers and five 16x16 adders. No shifters were necessary.

wallboy dude

please share the schematic with all of us here so that we also learn and reinforce concepts

thanks

Sure, I drew up a quick schematic that should work to build a 2Nx2N multiplier using four NxN multipliers.

multiplier.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back