Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

codvision avr or AVR studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

faraj

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody.
I'm working on a new project using AVR microcontroller series. As I'm new to AVR I don't know which IDE program is better to use, Codevision avr or AVR studio?
Previously I've worked with Keil uVision for programming 80x51 series microcontrollers and MPLAB IDE
for programming PIC microcontrollers.
Now I wonder which program is better for AVR uControllers, i wanna know the benefits of each program.
It should be mentioned that I will wrtie the program in C language.
Thank you in advance for your help.

You'll probably need both for C development, since AVR Studio doesn't include a compiler (it only natively supports assembly language development) but does provide a nice simulation and emulation environment, whereas Codevision gives you the C compiler you need to build your code in the first place. You may find the Atmel app note AVR033 Getting started with the CodeVisionAVR C Compiler useful.

Reactions: navidkhob

faraj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

navidkhob

ChrisC said:
You'll probably need both for C development, since AVR Studio doesn't include a compiler (it only natively supports assembly language development) but does provide a nice simulation and emulation environment, whereas Codevision gives you the C compiler you need to build your code in the first place. You may find the Atmel app note AVR033 Getting started with the CodeVisionAVR C Compiler useful.
If i'm understood you mean i should write and simulate my C program in AVR Studio and then compile it on codevision, right?

You'll probably need both for C development, since AVR Studio doesn't include a compiler (it only natively supports assembly language development) but does provide a nice simulation and emulation environment

True, but there is a freeware winavr c compiler that integrates into avrstudio seamlessly.

Codevision is commercial product, while avr studio is a freeware.
Codevision is easy for beginners, while you get most of the code snippets and examples in avrstudio.

As you have experience with C i advice you to start with avrstudio.

Happy programming

faraj

navidkhob

faraj said:
If i'm understood you mean i should write and simulate my C program in AVR Studio and then compile it on codevision, right?

If Codevision integrates nicely with AVR Studio, then this would be the best way to work, because you'd not have to leave the Studio IDE at all. However, if it doesn't then you may find it easier to write/compile within the Codevision IDE and then just switch over to the Studio IDE when you're ready to start debugging.

Added after 10 minutes:

nandhu015 said:
You'll probably need both for C development, since AVR Studio doesn't include a compiler (it only natively supports assembly language development) but does provide a nice simulation and emulation environment

True, but there is a freeware winavr c compiler that integrates into avrstudio seamlessly.

Yes, but it's still a third-party solution which needs to be installed and configured seperately, as opposed to something that gets installed as part of the Studio setup process. The OP mentions having used MPLAB, and it sounded as if they were thinking Studio is the direct equivalent for the AVR - i.e. that a C compiler is included out of the box.

So granted, it was perhaps remiss of me not to point out that other compilers exist (if the OP has money to burn, they could even get the IAR compiler...), but regardless of which compiler you use you WILL almost certainly need Studio as well if you're serious about AVR development, which was the point I was trying to make.

faraj

navidkhob

Status
Not open for further replies.