Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

coaxially-fed patch antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

joskem

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am in the process of having a patch antenna manufactured through a PCB process. The antenna is fed by means of a coaxial cable. I guess that the manufacturer will place the holes for the feed, and it will be my job to connect the coaxial cable. Is that right?

My questions are:
1) What holes/vias should I tell the manufacturer to put in the manufactured patch?
2) How will I then be able to connect the coaxial cable and the patch?

Thank you!

You need to specify a via/hole for the coaxial inner conductor.
The simplest way to connect the coaxial connector is just by soldering the outer conductor to the ground plane and solder the inner conductor to the upper patch.

By the way, remember to empty a circle on the ground plane of the size of the coaxial dielectric, to avoid shortcircuits.

Reactions: joskem

joskem

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you very much.
So, I have to tell the manufacturer to:
a) empty a circle on the ground plane with a radius equal to the radius of the coaxial cable's dielectric
b) drill a hole from the ground plane to the patch with a radius equal to the radius of the coaxial cable's inner conductor

Is that right? Please correct me if I'm wrong..

And could you please tell me how I can solder the outer conductor to the ground plane and solder the inner conductor to the upper patch? (since I'm all new to these things, I don't know the meaning of soldering)

Many thanks :)

And one last question..could you please tell me how I can solder the outer conductor to the ground plane and the inner conductor to the upper patch?
Is it me I have to do that? Or should I tell the manufacturer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back