Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CMOS Current Operational Amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eknath

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to implement a Current operational Amplifier(COA), I have difficulty in finding the applications where COA are used. I want some references that can explain the applications of COA in detail and not just in one line.

I think it's the same as an Operational Transconductance Amplifier (OTA), e.g. CA3080 (from TI, Intersil): relatively low input impedance and high output impedance, both (together) programmable. Search for their dataSheets and application notes!

I think the OTA is a controlled current source with a high input resistance (with other words: A voltage-to-current converter).

I think the CA3080 isn't far away from being called a COA, too: its input resistance is relatively low compared to that of an OpAmp: see p.2 of its dataSheet:

Anyway, thanks for the COA paper link!

Attachments

• CA3080_p2.pdf
    61.8 KB · Views: 70

I don't see CA3080 related to current mode amplifiers. It's a basic bipolar OTA, exposing a differential pair with respective low input resistance. Implementing a basic OTA in CMOS gives similar behaviour with high input resistance.

Reactions: LvW

LvW

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back