Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CMOS analog Switch vs. Solid state relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolsqn86

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I wanted to ask a general question whats the difference between CMOS analog switch and a SSR ? by difference i dont mean working principle , i want to know that both can be used for analog signals but which is better ?

Acutally I am trying to make a multiplexer for a sensor system for which I need to measure electrical paramters (RCL) using an agilent LCR meter. I already did it for a single sensor but now I want to integrate more sensors so I am thinking of using 16:1 mux. Upon reading online mostly all the mux have cmos switches inside with very low on-resistance and leakage current. My voltage limits are also not that exterme as for measurements I use 0.1 volts to calculate all the parameters.

so my main questions are
1. Is it a good approach to use mux to integrate more than one sensors and digitally controlling it one by one take the measurements.
2. there are SSR multiplexers also available , which is better low cost cmos mux or SSR in terms of performance, also i would mention my operating frequncy is alos 40K to 48K so I am not worried about high frequncy

Best Regard
AA

The main virtues of SSRs are isolation and higher working
voltages - however many SSRs work only on reversing /
AC waveforms (the opto SCR / TRIAC types). An analog
mux ought to be fine if all of the voltages are on one
ground or can be counted on to remain within the stated
off-voltage limits, and no safety isolation concerns exist.

1. CMOS analog switches are used to switch low level analog signals and are what you want use to multiplex your sensor signals. That's a common application for analog multiplexers.

2) SSRs are used to control AC or DC power. So I don't understand your reference to an SSR multiplexer(?).

- - - Updated - - -

however many SSRs work only on reversing /
AC waveforms (the opto SCR / TRIAC types). ........................
Yes, most of the SSRs are SCR/Triac types that operate only to control AC but there are opto/MOSFET type isolated SSRs that can switch either AC or DC.

hey guys thanks for the reply I would go with Analog multiplexers also I have some other design question but I will post them on a new thread.

Thanks once again

Status
Not open for further replies.