Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock Tree Synthesis - CTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikon

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,

I have a question regarding Clock Tree Synthesis.

I have a design, and I need to run CTS on the design.

1. How do I decide on the number of levels of buffers required for the clock tree?
either it is 0 level or 1 level or 2 levels ?

thanx

in my opinion,
Setting level of clock is not necessary. Just set the clock skew. max clock insertion delay is enough

Let Tools do that for you

Use the cts tools first, and do some manual modification if the skew and clock tran are not good enough for you.

In general , you can set the max skew ,transition time and so on .

The tools can automatically do this for you

You must discuss with EDA some times the constraint you define can not to do.

First know the number of sink pins i mean register/Flops in the design. If they are 1000 for instance, and let say 20 is the fanout for a buffer. To drive 1000 flops you need atleast now 1000/20 (50) buffers, and you need 3 buffers to drive this 50 buffers.
So, you need 50 buffers at the 3rd level and buffers at 2nd level and 1 driving cell at 1st level.

Level will generally 3 for a design with more than 200 K gate count.We can calculate using the method described before but that should be used for number of flops clocked by the functional/main clock.

In general,it doenst matter how many levels we have as long as skew and insertion delay targets are met. We can have 3 BUFX16 or 5 BUFX4 . The size of the former will still be bigger when compared with latter. Deciding on the optimum buffers/inverters that are to be used( general idea is to remove smallest and largetst buffers) in CTS and realistic skew and network latency targets will help us to keep utilization & timing under control.

Hi All,
Please share any scripts for h-tree manual Clock tree synthesis technique.
Thanks,
Nitin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back