Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock requirement

shree@12

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,
i have one question related to clock.

Why we required clock in our design?(except synchronization of data.)

Is there is any other requirement?

Hi,

The clock gives a common information about timing.

Like the clock on the wall of a school. With the use of the clock and a schedule everyone knows which things to do at which time.

Your question is too general.
Please ask a more elaborated, more detailed question.
I mean: "clock" can be used in very different ways. It can be used to build a digital watch. It can be used to provide a carrier frequency for RF. It can be used as metronome in music.

Klaus

Hi,

The clock gives a common information about timing.

Like the clock on the wall of a school. With the use of the clock and a schedule everyone knows which things to do at which time.

Your question is too general.
Please ask a more elaborated, more detailed question.
I mean: "clock" can be used in very different ways. It can be used to build a digital watch. It can be used to provide a carrier frequency for RF. It can be used as metronome in music.

Klaus
I want to asking that in sequential design what is the requirement of making the circuit clock dependent?

Hi,

are you talking about ASIC or PLD design? If so then the thread should be moved there.

I want to asking that in sequential design what is the requirement of making the circuit clock dependent?
I guess you almost answered your question yourself.
The clock is the timing control for the sequencer.

A sequence is "a particular order in which related things follow each other". (accroding internet search)

Back to the school class:
The sequence on monday may be: physics, mathematics, sports, ...
But for the pupils and the teachers to know when each lesson starts .. the schedule needs a timing information.
(like: maths from 9:00 to 10:00)
And both pupils and teachers need a common clock to refer to.

The clock is the "timing source".
Electronics example.
Build a blinker for a car. 0.5s ON, 0.5s OFF (ON and OFF are the sequence, 0.5s is the timing information)
* Now in simplest case you may have a 2Hz clock. --> at one rising edge: ON, at the next rising edge: OFF
* or you have a 1MHz clock: 500.000 clock ticks ON, 500.000 clock ticks OFF

Klaus

Last edited:
A clock signal is often used to make things happen. Inside a computer is its central processing unit. By feeding it one pulse it executes a step in a program. Feed it another pulse and it goes on to the next step. Etc.

In general I think of clock signal at two levels:

1) RTL level: For latch registers to sample signals from launch registers only at clock edge. So ignoring variable delay during a clock period.

2) design level: to control sequence of events and processing.

However clock forces a bottleneck for logic and an asynchronous approach has been considered but is hard and I am not sure if it is being successful in fpga market. see link below about Achronix products.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back