Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock pulse generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

syntaxerror247

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Clock Pulse Generator

Hi,
I want to make a variable (0.2 Hz - 1kHz) clock/pulse generator AND display the generated frequency value (e.g. 1024 Hz) on a 16x2 LCD display or to 7-segment display. I was going to use a 555 timer with a potentiometer to vary the output frequency of the 555, but a friend told me the output of the 555 is not that accurate due to the resistors and capacitors used with the 555 IC.

What do I need this for?: I'm trying to make a small logic trainer and need a variable clock signal generator to use for experiments with 74HC series ICs such as JK F/F and other ICs. It must be able to display the value of the frequency on the output display in real-time as the knob is turned.

Questions:
1- Should I use the 555 to make this circuit? or is there better ways to achieve my goal or making a variable clock generator? I'm open to better ideas and suggestions.
2- How do I make an accurate clock signal that I can vary using a mechanical device such as a potentiometer or maybe a keypad?
3- How do I count the output frequency?
4- How do I display the frequency value on an LCD or 7-segment display (whichever is easier)?

I know a bit about electronics theory (digital and analog) but haven't built any projects yet. This will be my first project.

Last edited:

Hello my friend
You can use a simple schmitt trigger not gate like 40106 and one potentiometer as a frequency control device and a simple capacitor to obtain your aim.
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Actually, all relaxation oscillators like the 555, inverting Schmitt, and other inverters (see: Fairchild Application Note 118) will show about the same stability with temperature. In fact, the 555 can be conveniently drawn as a Schmitt inverter. I once played with adding a crystal to improve stability of the 555 just for kicks. Here is the comparison:

I let is run several days with a frequenncy counter (Racal-Dana) and it was quite stable. I should add that is the CMOS version of the 555. The non-CMOS version will also work if a pull-up resistor is added as here:

[url]https://www.edaboard.com/attachments/67697d1327147010-555-crystal-tested.png

John

Attachments

• 555 CRYSTAL TESTED.png
    555 CRYSTAL TESTED.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 555 CRYSTAL TESTED_2.png
    555 CRYSTAL TESTED_2.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

A microcontroller with a high clock frequency (quartz based) and integrated LCD controller would be a very compact solution. There a several MSP430 solution which would allow this and on the input side a simple potentiometer or a small magnetic encoder, like the iC-MA ( iC-Haus Homepage - product: iC-MA ). The encoder type would give AB pulses out that makes the adjustment of the desired frequency easier than using a potentiometer.

Enjoy your design work!

Thank you to those who replied. Does anyone else have any suggestions or answers to the questions in the first post? I appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.