Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock/Oscillator accuracy question for video 14.31818

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atariman

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am part of a volunteer group that is archiving some videos on laserdisc of all things!

We are looking to modify the laserdisc player to have better stability, lower noise etc.

One area that has come up in our research is that the player gives a better output if the NTSC clock is accurate, it should be 14.3181818 but on the players we find it varies quite a bit and doesn't stay stable with temperature change. We have also been told that replacing a sine-wave with a square wave helps considerable with jitter etc. in the playes and produces a better image.

My question is, what options are there for replacing the standard Xtal in these old players (circa 1992-1995) with something more modern?

Are there components available now that will have more stable and more accurate clock frequencies?

Any advice really appreciated. I am learning as I go with this, and sadly I am the most technical person in the group.8-O

Cheers

-Peter

Welcome to EDAboard.

If you are serious abput stability of 14.318 MHz osc, perhaps you have to phase lock it to a known reference oscillator like GPS , standard reference , or some such thing .
however
it is simply possible to use if you have 3.579545 MHz locked frequency from any NTSC TV as the TVsignal is said to lock to atomic clock standards, while it is working in NTSC mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.