Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock Domain Crossing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakthikumaran87

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have a design related question on CDC.

I have two black boxes working async. to each other and i am not aware of both the clk speed. Is it feasible to insert a sync. for the data / ctrl signal that is needed to pass data properly between the two black boxes. I need to design such sync. scheme. How to design it.

Regards,
SK

It depends on the kind of interface between the blocks. Could you detail the exact kind of interface you have?

It was an interview question to my friend, so couldnt provide more details.. the question itself is on how to design the interface to propagate signals between two black boxes of unknown freq. ...

a) One of the simple ways to do the CDC properly is to introduce synchronizers in the path. These are special cells which are available in a library. This is the simplest way of doing things.
b) There are complicated ways of doing CDC implementation with extra latency and feedback topologies.....you can go through this document
http://www.sunburst-design.com/papers/CummingsSNUG2008Boston_CDC.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back