Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock and data recovery for serial Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdvaRes

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
serial link+data recovery

Hi members,

All we know that CDR is mendatory for receiving Serial Data. In the beginning of a data transfert the tranceiver and the receiver are not synchronized. I need to understand how the receiver can receive correctly the first bits.

Please help.

in most digital communication techniques, there is some bits sent at first "called preamble" which used to synchronize both Trans. and Receiv.
these preamble bits always 0101010101,,,,and change in size depending on technology type.
example: Ethernet stations need to synchronize with the signal's frequency; this is done by means of 64 preamble bits.

Token-Ring stations are always synchronous to received frames because there is always a signal passing the ring (idle symbols); they only need a 8-bit starting delimiter in order to get ready for receiving the frame.
yours, Zico©

AdvaRes

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
at first the Rx works on a pll to lock the frequency then uses the received data to capture the correct phase and small frequency errors

AdvaRes

Thanks my friends for your prompts replies.

Concerning the preamble I heared that technique is used for Wireless interconnect. So it is also used in serial link. Thats fine.

But As far as I know, the data is serialized packet by packet (Please correcy me if I'm wrong) and a time space exists between this two serialized data.

My question is, when we plan to send N packets, a preamble is used for each packet (because of the Time space) or only one preamble is used for all the packets (Is the synchronization maintaned in the second case ?).

This looks more like asynchronous transmission. I doesn't need anything but a start bit, if the bit rate is known exactly. Synchronous transmission usually sends an idle frame that's identical to sync frame, e. with HDLC. If you are designing a transmission protocol that hasn't be compatible to any protocol, you can do what you like.

AdvaRes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back