Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Class E Power Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

khouly

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to design class E power Amlifier for 900 Mhz application , and i want to know where to start ,
so please recommend a book , or paper to begin with

and i saw most of the class E amps use LDMOS or CMOS , or HBT , what about biploar devices are they used in this class

and also i want to ask how to select the bias point of the gate or the base

thanks in advance

khouly

Search for Sokal and/or Raab. They wrote the book Solid State Radio Engineering and they are big in Class E.

for instance:

h**p://www.avtechpulse.com/papers/classe/

khouly

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
you can use bipolar decices.

But FETs are more useful for switch-mode devices.
Bipolar devices go to deep saturation, it will make slower they operation.

khouly

i have seen class E amps based on LDMOS devices , i will try to get a model of one , and begin to design using the LDMOS

khouly

what about the base bias of the transistor if i use Bjt will be like class AB or just put the input wave form in the base

khouly

The latter case: no any bias as much as a Class AB bias, only just a little (say 0.2-0.3V DC, definitely not causing any collector current) to easy the RF drive at 900MHz, this helps the obviously not so rapid rise time of the drive pulse.

khouly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back