Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Class D Amplifier Power Stage and Open Loop and Closed Loop Characteristics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akanimo

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have posted this thread to gather any information that anyone feels is important about the design of Class D audio amplifier, both of the power stage and of the feedback loop. Please feel free to drop your comments. Any random comment in the subject is welcome.
--- Updated ---

References to good books, web pages and documents, and videos on the subject are also welcome.

Last edited:

Hi,

I wonder whether there are polyphase class D amplifiers. Controlled by an FPGA with advanced algorithm to reduce noise while getting high upper cutoff frequency and high dV/dt but filtered analog output.

Klaus

I haven't designed a linear amplifier since excellent ones became available as ICs and are inexpensive.
Today, there are many excellent class-D amplifier ICs available, also inexpensive.
Why would anybody want to design or copy one? For school work?

Likening SMPS to the Class D amplifier, and owing to the fact that I have an understanding of SMPS independent of controller ICs, I believe I could get to understand the Class D amps pretty well too if some key factors are pointed out to me.

I am already digging into the subject and I have gotten hold of what happens in the power stage. I still need to understand how its feedback loop operates.

well, the major aim is that I might be able to digitize the amp along with other functionalities in a single chip.

For SMPS, we tend to desire a constant output voltage against all perturbations. For the Class D amp, we seem to desire the output voltage to mimic 'perturbations' (i.e. the changing input signal) and, in some cases, voltage feedback is taken at the switch-node contrary to what's done with SMPS.

This seem to make the transfer functions somewhat more complicated. Any idea what the transfer functions would be like?

Both TI and STMicro have app notes with plenty of good information.
Read them, a lot of your questions will be answered.

the transfer function desired is simply Vo = Av x Vin, for any normal range of load R, you set Av.

Status
Not open for further replies.