Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Class AB amplfier...heatsinks made of iron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

hello,

The ID60TVP-H 60W Class AB guitar amplifier product weighs 10.8Kg.
(i assume its Class AB)
The heatsink is the only large metal product that could be inside it(?)...but heatsinks are made of aluminium which weighs little.

So what kind of metal are they using for the heatsinks in this product?
Considering that the product weighs 10.8Kg
What is likely to be the heaviest item inside it?

Blackstar ID60TVP-H
https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-a...mmable-Guitar-Amp-Head/JEC?origin=product-ads

Manual (on page 11 it gives the weight)
**broken link removed**

My friend this can be copper.

I dont think that chinese badest device clone have heatsink maded from iron.

Sometimes Al and Cu can be combined together. If I correctly remember aluminium have greater heat capacity then copper, but copper conduct heat faster then aluminium, this can be reasson of Al-Cu heatsink combinations (Cu in contact with part body, Al massive bigger surface area), but this can be bad idea because difference in potential, in other words we have battery. :)

:wink:

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The heatsink is the only large metal product that could be inside it(?)...
No. There's most likely a welded steel chassis, probably a mains transformer, the wooden case also adds several kilograms...

Reactions: treez and tpetar

tpetar

T

I also think it should be mixture of aluminium and copper. Copper is having high density so the weight increases. Also it includes transformer which is of few kilograms. But heatsink of iron is a new thing to me.

Reactions: treez

T

a mains transformer

A mains transformer.......(actually i agree with you, there probably is one)..however, a 100VA mains transformer weighs 1.5Kg........................

100VA mains transformer weighs 1.5Kg......
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1508684.pdf

....The overall product weight is 10.8Kg.

Wood isnt that heavy.
The steel chassis would surely only be a "skeletal" steel frame.

....i still can't tell where this extra weight is coming from......remembering that this product is just 60W.

Wood isnt that heavy.
Did you calculate the wood volume involved with the actual case size? You can assume something like 16 mm plywood (at least 13 mm). You'll find out that my assumption of several kilograms isn't overrated.
The steel chassis would surely only be a "skeletal" steel frame.
How do you know? Blackstar has some photos of their traditional tube amplifier chassis, they look a bit more massive.

Seriously, have you ever disassembled a classical guitar amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.