Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Class A design with advanced design system, where should I start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamadJun

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all

My professor told me to design class A amplifier with this transistor **broken link removed**
and also design it by ADS2009.
in data sheet it is mentioned that for f≈2000MHz
Vds = 25 and IdQ=100ma

anyway
I have to use small Rload preferably 50 Ω.
I checked ADS DesignGuide for class A.
when I decrease load, efficiency decrease a lot. I thought designing class A is very easy but I dont even know how should I start. which parameter should I choose and based on that parameter I continue my design.
How should I choose VDs. How should I choose Idsmax?

to summarize and categorize my question:

* How should I choose VDs. How should I choose Idsmax?
* If I know Vds and Ids and also I have my transistor model. Is it possible to get Vgs easily? I mean do not sweeping variables :D
* when I am trying to use ADS design guide for getting good efficiency the suggested load line is large but I have to work with 50 ohm. but if I decrease load liine (50 ~ 100 Ω) then the efficieny is really low what should I do?

also if you have a useful and helpful design guide plz let me know

you need to first simulate the model and draw Id-Vds and Id-Vgs graph (I am assuming source is grounded) , through sweeping parameter for your desired frequency!!!
Class A is biased in the center of Id-Vgs curve... from this you would have idq and vgsq.
you need to perform output matching to achieve high efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.