Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circumstances for using an inverter pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecs_gene

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
INVERTER PAIR

hi guys,
could u explain me at what circumstance is a synthesis compiler forced to put a inverter pair??is it because the usage of inverter pair makes the rise and fall time equal???

regards

Re: INVERTER PAIR

Rise times and falls times of Cmos inverter is didfferent because of diffenet mobilities of electrons and holes . In some case we need to have same rise and fall times . so use of inverter pair will make even delays tplh+tphl .

hi,

Inverter pairs are normally put in place to meet stingent timing constraints.
See u have to compensate by introducing comb delays so that the timing across two flops is met.

I dont think rise and fall got to do anything with this..

Regards.

hey resistance
what do u mean by saying stringent timing constraints???see,your ultimate aim is to minimize time..then,by adding inverters,u are going to increase the time...as far as i know,under no circumstance,would u specify a timing constraint that tells the synthesis compiler to increase existing timing..i agree ,u may have 2 inverters separated by a bufffer so as to probably boost the driving capability!!then,under what more circumstance does it generate the inverter pair???

regards

Hi,

What I can think of is the fan-out is high. So the tool can put buffer, or use 2 inverters. Check if the first invertor only fanout to the second inverter (may be the first inverter also drive other logic).

Also, if you ask the tool the meet hold time, than this type of logic is expected.

Regards,
Eng Han

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back