Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circularly Polarized Patch Antenna @ 77 GHz - Axial Ratio Bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomTurbo

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to design a circularly polarized patch antenna in CST for a project at university. As mentioned in the title, the antenna has to operate in the W-band with a center frequency of 77 GHz

Other given properties are e.g. the substrate (Rogers RO3003, e_r = 3, h = 0.127 mm) and a minimum line width of 50 µm. Moreover, the patch has to be fed with microstrip transmission lines (based on Z_0 = 50O).

Regarding this requirements, I decided to use a square patch with dual feeds like shown here

12.png

Since space for the feeding network is kind of unlimited, I decided to use a 2-stage quarter wave transformer in every feed branch to match the input impedance of the patch (approx. Z_in = (350+j0)Ω at 77 GHz) to the 100Ω transmission lines (50Ω -> 2x100Ω) at the T-junction power divider. One of the 100Ω lines is ΔL = λ/4 longer then the other one.

This works quite well with an axial ratio of < 3db for a beamwidth of θ = +/-10° BUT unfortunately just in a quite narrow band (< 1 GHz)

I guess poor axial ratio bandwidth is neither due to the frequency-dependent quarter wave transformers (since they are identical for both feed branches), nor result of the frequency-dependent 90°-phase shift in the 100Ω lines (I tested the feeding network with 2 discrete ports instead of the patch and the deviation from 90° should be about +/- 4° between 76 and 79 GHz).

For this reason I'm afraid that it's due to Z_in of the patch (complex for f≠fr) which is finally transformed differently by every path. Which means that two quite different impedances can be "seen" at the outputs of the T-junction and power is splitted in a way that finally one of the modes is excited more then the orthogonal one.

I am sorry for this extensive description :oops:
but I was wondering if my assumption is right so far and if there might be a simple possibility two enhance the impedance bandwidth and thus axial ratio bandwidth? (without changing the substrate properties but maybe by using another patch geometry or parasitic microstrip elements)

regards, Tom :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back