Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

circularly polarized microstrip antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

suvitha

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how do nearly square patch gives circular polarization?

There are two ways of obtaining:
1. antenna must be fed with two probes
or
2. see **broken link removed**

suvitha

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello Suvitha,
A nearly square microstrip patch gives you circular polarization by activating two modes that have their resonant frequencies very close to the design frequency desired. There are plenty of ways to do this..

A very good article about this is at
h**p://www.mwjournal.com/Journal/article.asp?HH_ID=AR_453

I haven't gone through the mathematics of it all but this is what this article explains.. Another way is to have a truncation on the edges of the antenna to create the same effect being talked about in the above article.. Also, you can find good, although very mathematical, explanation to how this is achieved in the Microstrip Antenna design handbook by Bahl and Bhatia..

If I could add to vfurlan's comments.. it is not necessary to have the antenna fed by two probes.. You can do it with a single probe which is what the above article talks about..

Hope this helps..
Ananth.

suvitha

I would like to add two more things:
1)the CP bandwidth will be very limited if the antenna is fed with only one probe.
2)the coupling between two feeding ports should be taken into design considerations if the antenna is fed with two probes

suvitha said:
how do nearly square patch gives circular polarization?

suvitha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back