Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circular or Rectangular - what is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomeeh

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I went through some books describing antennas. Usually circular as well as rectangular horn antennas are considered. But what I'm missing is a simple thing - in which situation one uses circular horn, and for which rectangular - one? What is the comparison between those two types of antennas?

For antenna radiation patterns and efficiencies, you can use EM-Core to simulate them.

Infor for download and antenna design can be found at

https://www.pedasoft.com/
**broken link removed**

Thanks,

well I guess I know other programs as well to calculate radiation patterns, but I was wondering if one could say something like this:

If you need "feature_A" but the "feature_B" is not important for you, you should use the circular horn. Otherwise, take the rectangular-one. Is it possible to give a short classification?

@yafayez -> are there any posts from you, that do not recommend the program you are probably selling?

Circular waveguide is symmetrical at all angles around its circumference. As such, it is well suited to form antennas that need things like circular polarization (equal parts of two orthogonal electric fields).

Rectangular waveguide is non-symmetrical. In fact, it is usually deliberately designed with dimensions that would only support one dominant mode, namely the TE10 mode with electric field across the middle of the shorter dimension. As such, it is naturally good for making linear polarization antennas.

tomeeh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
tomeeh said:
Hi,

I went through some books describing antennas. Usually circular as well as rectangular horn antennas are considered. But what I'm missing is a simple thing - in which situation one uses circular horn, and for which rectangular - one? What is the comparison between those two types of antennas?

Hi,
If you need circular polarization than circular horn is preffred over rectangular one

tomeeh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back