Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

circuit design - ready for manufacturing - tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

fvnktion

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am a R&D designer and have a done a lot of designs and builds with no problems. However I am brand new to taking a design to manufacturing (100+) products. I realize that there are many variables and pretty clueless in knowing where to start. I would define the product to be the PCB and assembly with components.

Topics on circuit and component design for DFM that would be great to get some feedback on:
1.) Tips on things to watch out for, things to do-not do.
2.) should I get a middleman if I decide to push things to china, etc.
3.) best estimates for final component cost. (I have heard 2.5-3x BOM, etc.)
4.) books, app notes articles that are helpful on the topic.
5.) Anything else you think would be useful in regard to the subject.

I have also found this thread, which that hits on some of the topics here, but not all.

Thanks

fvnktion,

Let me try to answer some of your questions..

1. Talk to your PCB fab and Assembly folks and know their process limitations and cost implications for various line widths, drill diameters, material, card size etc. And design your DRC/DFM rules in CAD tool accordingly. DO NOT deviate from what your Fab/Assembly fella suggest.

2. Not always.. there are lot of Chinese PCB fab and Assembly companies companies who have their web sites. Try contacting them directly. This works if you know how to handle the import restrictions of your country.

3. Try the Project manager tool on DIGIKEY or MOUSER. They do a very decent job of estimating the BOM cost.

4. Search this forum thoroughly. Many of wise men have put their thoughts & shared their wisdom in plenty of threads.

5. Product design is much more than Hardware design. There are lot of things apart from Electronics of the product. Hence no one-line answer can be given to your last question.

All the Best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back