Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit breaker for detecting cable faults in an electrical line

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelalfuerto

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guyz... i need your big help.. does any one know about a circuit that detect cable faults in electrical lines. Specifically in household electrical wiring condition. my plan is to embed it in a circuit breaker so that if the system sense a fault in the line it will trip the line and eventually sends an alarm to the owner of the house.

You can consider residual current circuit breaker that can be fitted with auxiliary contacts - these contacts can be then used to activate an alarm or whatever you need ..
See:
Industrial Control - Residual Current Devices

IanP
:wink:

residual current circuit breaker? is it different to an arc-fault circuit interrupter? or they the same in purpose?

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

what if i'll used a interrupter instead of a circuit breaker would it it be helpful.

Last edited:

AFCIs and RCDs are two different devices, one reacting to arcing the other is designed to trip on a leakage current ..
The best protection is provided by combination of boh of them ..
( See: What is an AFCI? )
and in your case I'd suggest you consider that option ..

IanP

AFCIs and RCDs are two different devices, one reacting to arcing the other is designed to trip on a leakage current ..
The best protection is provided by combination of boh of them ..
( See: What is an AFCI? )
and in your case I'd suggest you consider that option ..

IanP

thank you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back