Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chosing SMPS controller ic

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby_1

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
i want to create a small SMPS as soon as possible.i rectifier my voltage and set up an EMI filter.my output voltage is now 315volt.now i want to have 15V/4A output.what ic should i choose? could you introduce me some of them?
Thanks

Hello and thanks tpetar
is another ic or circuit that have one mosfet switch transistor instead of push-poll structure?

For a 60W power output you may consider the FlyBack design.
The Flyback SMPS theory and some design calculations details here:
**broken link removed**

You may use:
1. standard UC 3842 In flyback mode with a mosfet rating of 800-900 volts
One example of SMPS here:
http://www.smps.us/12volt-powersupply.html

This can be modified to 15V by changing R15 to 12k, R14 = 2.4k, also need to change D6 (by a 16V zener diode)

2. the Power Integrations ‘TOPSwitch’ family are compact solutions, check the appnote for discrete SMPS described step by step.
**broken link removed**

3. the Viper from ST, you may find also The VIPer Switch Mode Power Supply Design Software

4. A very good free Switch Mode Power Supply Circuit Design Software /Transformer Calculation / Simulation Tool you may find here:

http://www.poweresim.com

Reactions: baby_1

baby_1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Dear baby_1
Hi
It is pretty simple ! at first you should determine that what topology you are deciding to use ! and then you can find your desired controller .
Is isolation important for you ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hello Goldsmith
i has been choose my SMPS controller ic(UC3842)

Thanks

@Goldsmith

As long as you have reopen this discussion, what’s in your opinion the best SMPS topology to obtain about 60W?

And by the way, a tipical SMPS have an key role in providing safety isolation between the input and output, so one important idea behind designing a switch mode power supply is to incorporate line isolation using a transformer.
:cool:

Dear mister_rf
Hi my friend
How are you ?
For 60w , my suggestion is a simple flyback converter . but if isolation wasn't require , i would suggest a simple buck.
Best Regards
Goldsmith

If let me design a 15V/4A SMPS, I’ll consider to use quasi resonant PWM controller-NCP1207A/B.
Because the QR mode Fly-back converter has low EMI noise.

Reactions: baby_1

baby_1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I don’t think the EMI is a main concern here. For a beginner project it’s important to have access to the components and a clear model to follow. The 3842 series are a very popular model, lots of info on the net, low cost and ready available on almost every electronic shop. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.