Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing tolerance for different application

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl5

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

question2.png

For this circuit, which values of capacitor will be good?

I just show a capacitor with -20 to +80 tolerance! :oops:

Isn't strange having big resistance and capacitor in circuit?

pinout_3.5mm_jack_and_plug.PNG

I will use that connector. I will not use that switch. where to connect wires? To main channel or switched terminals?

Thank you in advance

Hi,

For this circuit, which values of capacitor will be good?
The circuit shows "105" which means 1uF.
Are you not satisfied with this?

I just show a capacitor with -20 to +80 tolerance!
Isn't strange having big resistance and capacitor in circuit?
I don't understand both statements.

I will use that connector. I will not use that switch. where to connect wires? To main channel or switched terminals?
What switch?
4 signals to 4 pins at the connector! What is unclear?

Klaus

The capacitors and resistors are a cheap common method to safeguard against unknown things that people might plug cables into. A series capacitor passes AC signals but blocks DC voltage. You can't predict unknown equipment might deliver DC from a supply wire, or broken equipment might improperly send DC from either direction. Or static charge might be present. Etc.

The RC combination reduces strong current flow in either direction. It might not guard against extreme situations but it can reduce pops and crackles when cables are connected and disconnected.

For standard audio applications the above RC net if used with high impedance input would give high pass 50Hz, which would not yield significant attenuation in the signal, even if added that tolerance. In other words, if you are planing to use with a microphone, it is strongly recommended.

A capacitor that is "105" is a cheap 1uF ceramic one that has a terrible tolerance of -20% to +80%. It makes noises when it is vibrated and is not used to couple audio signals.
Pay a little more and get a fairly small plastic film 1uF capacitor that has a tolerance of 5%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back