Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing the PIC microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

randeramit

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic i o board india

hi

i am new to PIC. have read quite a few books and datasheet. I am actually working on a project in which i want to integrate PIC microcontroller to a graphical LCD, a keypad and a memory card.
Can some1 suggest me the PIC I should choose, that can effectively help me connecting all of them together.

Thanks

pic microcontroller sd mm

thanks a lot for the link.
but i think it will be useful, once i become a little hands-on with PIC, may be in my next project. I have been able to figure out controllers with GLCD, hoever was not able to find the keypad interface + memory card
are external memory and external memory bus interface one and the same? if thats the case, the result shows no product if i select EBI and GD. Does that also mean that i can not use the external memory with it? please can u(or some1) provide me with a solution

pic microcontroller sd card

randeramit said:
are external memory and external memory bus interface one and the same?
In Microchip parlance, an External (Memory) Bus Inteface is a set of I/O lines that allow you to connect to external memory that uses a parallel interface.
randeramit said:
if thats the case, the result shows no product if i select EBI and GD.
The "GD" option refers to chips that have a built-in LCD driver. There are no chips that have both and External Memory Bus and an LCD driver. However, there are other interfaces that allow you to add external FLASH, EEPROM or RAM (I2C, SPI) - but they don't support program memory.

It would be helpful if you provided a bit more detail on your project:
How may keys?
What type of Memory Card?
What size LCD display? - Are you planning on driving the segments directly with the uP, or using an LCD that has a built-in controller?

how to choose pic microchip

What I think : choose between PIC24 or PIC32, and forget other families (PIC16 or PIC18 ).

pic microcontroller

Thank you so much for your help

So here are some of the specs-

How may keys? ----> 4X4 plus cursur
What type of Memory Card? SD card
What size LCD display? - Are you planning on driving the segments directly with the uP, or using an LCD that has a built-in controller? --->70 x 40 mm display area and I am assuming it is easier to drive this by built in controller.

It would be great if you can guide me what uC i should use and what are other interfacing details I should look at.

Thanks Again

indian supplier of pic microcontroller

Below is a block diagram using the fewest pins likely. I don't know what you meant by 'plus cursor' ( 1 key?). If you use an LCD with a 4-bit parallel interface you'd need 18 I/O lines. You may be able to find an LCD with a serial interface which would reduce the number of lines required to interface to it to only 3, bringing your pin requirements down to 14.

With 18, or more, I/O lines you'll need at least a 40-pin device (a 28 pin gets you only 17 lines). You'll need to determine the type of package you want for your uC (DIP, SOIC, QFN, etc.). This will depend on what capabilities you have to solder the part on the board. Thru-hole DIPs are the easiest, but the choice of processors is limited. There is a wider range of processors available in SMD packages, but they are more difficult to mount.

If you haven't chosen an LCD, you may want to check out https://www.crystalfontz.com. They have a new selection at reasonable prices.

Once, you nail down the LCD you can determine the number of pins you need and pick the processor.

how to use external memory in pic microcontroller

Hello to all,

There is a PIC microcontroller board that has almost what you need (and a little bit more). It's called EDUPIC.
It comes with FREE software written in C language. You can take a look at the Features of EDUPIC microcontroller development board -HERE

If you have any question please contact us.

Thank you and good luck,
Microcontroller Board team
www.microcontrollerboard.com

If you like BASIC there are a couple of forums out there.
www.picbasic.co.uk is one and there is Proton too.

hi all
thanks a lot for the post, they are really helpful.
first of all to clear with, i want scroll functionality in the screen, thence will be using (left right, up, down) keys also. so that's make total of 20 keys(4X4 + 4)

also, i need to make a simulation of the schematic, are there some good software available on which i can put in all hard wiring and check if the interface had been working as i want.

@microcontroller board, the board seems to be useful, but i want to use a 128*64 graphical LCD + the scroll keys as i discussed above. there is also USB in the board, but i require a memory card interface(though a USB interface can be an added advantage, but memory card is mandatory). Is there something which meets these requirements? or can anyone build a board like that for me on cost!

thanks everyone for helping me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back