Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing the correct IC socket for a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown1980

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I am new to these forums.

I have recently started designing small electronics projects, at least until I gain experience then maybe I can move onto more complex circuits.

The first project I am working on is comprised mainly from ICs, and I would like to use IC sockets in the project to make the ICs removable and easily replaced. The problem I am having is that there seem to be many different types of IC socket available and I don't know which ones to choose. I have tried looking at the package information on the data sheets to get some kind of clue. I suspect that one of the ICs I am using requires an 8-PIN DIP socket, but I would prefer to be certain before I order anything.

If anyone can provide any information, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you've got an 8-pin DIP IC, use an 8-pin DIP socket. There's no way we can tell you what to use. ICs come in a variety of packages; pick the one you want and then pick a suitable socket. Generally if you want to use a socket, you will either have a DIP package or PLCC.

If you've got an 8-pin DIP IC, use an 8-pin DIP socket. There's no way we can tell you what to use. ICs come in a variety of packages; pick the one you want and then pick a suitable socket. Generally if you want to use a socket, you will either have a DIP package or PLCC.

Yes, that is the problem. I have the ICs themselves picked out, but I am not sure which socket to pick that will fit the IC.

I am having trouble finding the relevant information on the data sheet that tells me which socket would be most suitable for that IC.

The information is right there. It tells you what package the device uses. Why don't you post the data sheet?

The information is right there. It tells you what package the device uses. Why don't you post the data sheet?

OKay, I have attached them to this post.

Thanks

Attachments

• ADuM1200.pdf
    437.4 KB · Views: 84
  • LCDA24C-1.pdf
    150 KB · Views: 76
  • LTC490.pdf
    169.3 KB · Views: 88

1) The ADuM1200 is a surface mount device only. There is no socket for that.
2) This is also a surface-mount device only.
3) The LTC490 is available in a 8-lead plastic dip (PDIP)--make sure you order the right one. Get an 8-pin dip socket.

1) The ADuM1200 is a surface mount device only. There is no socket for that.
2) This is also a surface-mount device only.
3) The LTC490 is available in a 8-lead plastic dip (PDIP)--make sure you order the right one. Get an 8-pin dip socket.

I had suspected that the LTC490 would need an 8-pin dip socket, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks for your help Barry.

I had opted to use sockets to prevent heat damaging the IC during soldering, but I will just have to be careful instead.

Sockets are not your friend. They are unreliable and cause more problems than they solve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back