Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing right W/L ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

navi_s

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I'm novice in Analog circuit design, and I have one (could be a stupid question)
So how to choose correct W/L ratio when design circuit?
At example if the calculation says that we need ratio of W/L=2, how to take a decision for the ratio. Should it be, 4u/2u or 8u/4u and etc.?

Thx

Well that depends on the application. For example, if you are designing a switch from MOS transistor, which can switch realy fast then using a smaller gate length will be better. However, in opamp design, if you want higher gain you will like to have bigger gate length to ensure higher output resistance. There can be so many other examples and which value of W/L ratio should be chosen depends on the application.

Reactions: navi_s

navi_s

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The actual value of W and L would depend on a bunch of things depending on the application,

The Area i.e. W*L might be critical.
If you want less area and less capacitance, use the minimum L otherwise go for higher L.
If you want less mismatch between devices in a current mirror for example, you would need bigger area and hence larger L.
If you want to reduce the flicker noise which is inversely proportional to area, go for higher L.

If you want higher impedance i.e. ro/gds go for higher L.
If you want good Gm, faster speed, go for lower L.

IT is usually a trade-off between a bunch of things and depends a lot on your requirement.

Hello every one,
I have a question about a symbol.
We know that, complementary of a digital signal is shown by bar on that signal.
How about an analog signal. Suppose that we have a reference current of Iref, the output current is Iout=out1. Now we would like to have Iref-Iout. How can we display this value with respect to out1. May we mention by bar(out1 bar)?

Best regards,
an

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back