Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

choosing regulators for power up FPGA (xilinx spartan3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilan2005

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
xilinx spartan 3

hi all
i need some thougts on choosing regulators to power up spartan3 500E fpga.
i decided to use following LDO linear regulators.

LD1117ADT12TR 1.2v
LD1117DT25CTR h
LD1117V33

is it necessary use buck type regulators! whrere using L and C to filter and
get out voltages.

please share your experience with me!

Thanks!

rgds
dilan

voltage regulator for spartan3 fpga

thanks echo47

i also used above as the reference to order my parts

is thee any special requirement other than LDO to power up the FPGA

Thanks a lot

rgds
dilan

input voltage xilinx spartan 3 fpga

It's worthwhile reading these Xilinx documents:
"Spartan-3 FPGA Family Complete Data Sheet" (DS099), section "Functional Description", sub-section "Powering Spartan-3 FPGAs".
"Spartan-3 Generation FPGA User Guide" (UG331), chapter "Powering Spartan-3 Generation FPGAs".

Many designers use LDO regulators when the project's available input voltage is too low for ordinary regulators. However, LDO isn't a requirement if your input voltage is high enough for an ordinary regulator. Of course, the efficiency of a linear regulator decreases as you increase the input voltage. Switching regulators are generally more efficient but more complex.

dilan2005

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
spartan power regulator forum

Hi Dear Echo47.
I want to design power supply for Virtex 2 Board (XC2V40) but i have some ambigoues in a few aspects.

I want to apply switching regulators for their high effficiency and their potents to inject enough high current during power-on time.
After the power-on duration, the sysstem will not consume such high currents. then in acording to the switchig regulators specification that has been mentioned in its datasheet, in low level output current, The switching regulators efficiency would be degraded and we loos our goul to achive low dissipation and high efficiency.

What is your opinion about this issue?
Is there any idea to design this power provider part of this board more efficiently?
Thanks in advance
Alireza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back