Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

choosing an Oscilliscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeer_h

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I intend to buy an Oscilliscope and Its my first time.
I have two purchase options : to buy used one from ebay,I hate used stuff, or to buy brand new one. A guy recommended this one OWON (chinese! ) PDS5022S 25Mhz Color LCD Scope + Accessories ($287.00) : Saelig Online Store which am not sure about. I need a full evaluation from one who used this scope + any advices for choosing another brands, in is the same price range (not over 300$).

Thanks & regards
Abeer:evil:

Hi Abeer,
to find the answer to your question, you must first of all ask yourself: what I need a scope for? Are you sure 25 MHz is really enough? This seems more a toy than an instrument (no offence!)
Anyway, my suggestion is: buy a used, analog oscilloscope. You can find good devices at reasonable prices and if something goes wrong you can obtain support (this is not always true with Chinese devices. Again, no offence, just first-hand experience)
In our lab, most equipment is used, purchased on ebay from selected sellers.
Good luck
Giuseppe

Reactions: Abeer_h

Abeer_h

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Owon's is no very good scopes, I'm have some experience. You best choice - Rigol scopes, really best in low-end segment. Look on DS1052E - 50MHz, but easy upgradeable to 100MHz bandwidth.

Last edited:

In the case of digital oscilloscopes make sure that the vertical channel resolution is at least 10 bits

What bandwidth do you require and how many channels?
I tend to use a Tektronix TDS2002C for day to day work and a DPO3014 for more exacting requirements.
However, new Tektronix are expensive - I would look for a second hand analogue one on ebay, we have a few that are 20 to 25 years old and still working (a bit more weight than the new ones though)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back