Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronic Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Register Log in

Choosing a microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwc208

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a infrared camera with 16 bits/sample and 320 x 240 pixels. How do I pick a micro-controller that can handle this data? Assuming i do not need to do any image processing. I just want the microcontroller to handle the data and transfer it to the CAN controller. I need a microcontroller because the project requires me to select one.

The infrared camera can have Ethernet output and Digital I/O Connector, ScrewTerminal 6-pole: Digital Out: 2 outputs, opto-isolated, 10–30V supply, 100 mA.
How do i know if the data can be output to a microcontroller?

Thanks for the help.

FvM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If I understand your post correctly, ethernet will be the only available data interface of the camera. So the processor should be able to implement a full ethernet stack. I also expect, that you should have memory space to store at least a full image frame, involving about 150 kB of data. So a processor with on board ethernet and sufficient, typically external, RAM would be suggested, e.g. an ARM, PIC32, x86 or similar. It's more a question of your preferences than specific processor features.

Basically all data exposed at the ethernet interface can be received by a microcontroller. But you should acquire information but the protocols available with the product. Another question is, if you intend to forward the image data and how?

Reactions: cwc208

cwc208

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

cwc208

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do i know if PC32 has a on board ethernet? I look it up for PIC32MX340F256H, but I didn't see specifications about ethernet.
Okay, so i can connect my infrared camera with the microcontroller through ethernet. Then, I intended to forward the image data to a CAN bus controller through SPI and out of the network.
Also, since CAN bus network is a message based network, I assumed there is no network address for nodes, right?

I have another question, if power cycling of the nodes is implemented, how will the node awake periods be synchronized across all nodes?

Thanks

kalyanasv

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The PIC is by and large a easy to use and available microcontroller but you might need to make a small eval board or something:
You can check here for some details.

Now in case your looking for an in built ethernet support: You could try ethernet controllers: CS8900A

Now, there is also the option of using Dallas Semiconductors (now maxim) has a ethernet control design for going from your camera to ethernet: click here.

or you could try a a CAN-Ethernet design :Here

In the case of power cycling, you don't need to worry about the CAN interface, it will assume your node is not in use. That is the robustness of the CAN protocol. It ensures there is no single point failure with node disconnection.

FvM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Only newer PIC32MX5XX/6XX/7XX devices have on-board ethernet. You still need an external PHY, as with most ethernet enabled ARM processors, too. Microchip has nice evaluation kits, if you want to test the processors. CAN is an on-chip feature with these, by the way.

Of course, any processor can be used with external ethernet controllers. If you want to avoid implementing a TCP/IP stack in your software, ethernet interfaces with built-in TCP/IP functionality, e.g. Wiznet W5100 should be considered.

Transporting voluminous image data through CAN sounds suboptimal, but I guess, it's required by your application somehow. Did you calculate the available throughput, or better tested it in a real system?

Reactions: cwc208

cwc208

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

cwc208

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Ok, i picked a newer version of PIC32. If there is CAN module on the microcontroller, does it still need a CAN transceiver to communicate with the bus?

Another problem is..
Let's say i have a numbers sensor nodes and i am using duty cycle for all nodes. How could I synchronize all the nodes ? should i use a gps? and how is it connected to a microcontroller?

FvM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
You'll need a CAN transceiver to comply with the electrical CAN specification. It's the same with RS232, RS485 etc.

I would expect, that a sufficient synchronization can be achieved through the CAN bus.

cwc208

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
May be I should be a little more clear on what the problem is.
I want to do power cycling of all nodes ( including microcontroller ), how will the node awake periods be synchronized across all nodes?
Is CAN bus able to do this and what's the mechanism?
please refer me to some documents if can't explain it in details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor