Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

choice between LA and AGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunjiao3

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, friend. I know that LA(limiting amplifier) and AGC( automatic gain control) are 2 candidate for the post amplifier/or Main amplifier in optical tranceiver. And I already know some of their advantages and shortcomings. I have 2 quesions:
(1) Since LA is more fast in transient response(no feedback), and more simple structure and less power, it is usually chosen as the main amplifer. But, is there any system solution or in practial, some product use AGC as the main aplifier?
(2) If AGC is chosen, why? Both AGC and LA would clip the signal if they act like main amplifier and the signal's amplitude is limited, that is, the signal distort actually. So, what's the meaning of using AGC, without making use of its better linearity?
Thank you in advance.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back