Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

chips to send out data serially

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raveesh

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Is there any standard chips wherein I can burn some 8 or 16 bits information, and I want it send that information whenever I need ..?

I cant go with micro controller becoz my project BOM cost will go up ..

regards
Ravee

To store information, you need a flash or EEPROM and, these memories have standard protocols (SPI or I2C). A microcontroller can communicate with these memories easily.
To implement these protocols with sequential or combinational logic, I think, it's impossible.
You can find controllers as cheap as $1
microcontroller - Google Search

If you want to send information serially, a Shift Register can do it for you.
http://zefir.if.uj.edu.pl/pracownia/74165.pdf

Last edited:

Thanks ..

There are single wire output ICs(with has start bit and stop bit usually this is used in sensor technology ), but I have not find any IC which can store the data and outputs serially ..

regards
Ravee

thanks ... but the problem with this is, I cant burn the data and use the same for life time ...

You can use a dip switch with a shift register then instead of burning the data every time just set the dip switch.If you are prepared to burn any chip that you want to change the data etc. then use apic 10f or 12f series that are less than 1$.

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 ----------

You can use 1-wire devices it all depends on the protocol you want to use or just the raw 8 or 16 bits on/off **broken link removed**

Hi,
I didnt get what is exactly apic 10f, can you provide a link/full details ..?

I cant go with micro controller becoz my project BOM cost will go up ..

You can buy a small avr (attiny12 or attiny13) for around $1 in QTY 10 or more. No other components needed except ONE attiny mcu.
WHY would you waste time on a series of switches or shift registers or anything else that will cost the same or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.