Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chip design with OpenProjects 8051 core(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

8051designer

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I plan to start a chip design business with minimum resource and aggressive unit price. To address that, I am looking for a royalty-free 8-bit CPU and I wonder if Opencores' 8051 flavours can be used without entering patent litigation for an fpga and then the MCU.
I plan to build the whole architecture around this core by myself.

Does anyone have an idea about that topic ?

Best Regards

Franck

Sounds interesting. Do you do FPGA or ASIC design?

The IPs available at Opencores or other free sources usually need some modifications before you can use them in commercial products.

Hi ebuddy,

1st step will be FPGA then shuttle seat at a foundry. What is your pinion about oc8051 ?

Regards

Since you are prototyping with FPGA, it should not be difficult for you to verify the core quickly. My experience is the designs in OC are usually not optimized. What is your application? Is the core in your data path, or it is just sitting on the side to do some configuration? If your performance requirement is not very high, it may still be a good fit to your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back