Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

chip/block area estimation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepak242003

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

Can we share what is the general procedure we follow for area estimation of analog blocks ..??

Deepak.

Should it be starting from the spice (verilog) netlist?

yes.... with the spice and schematic both jprovided ....

any other suggestions to fasten the estimation process..????

deepak242003 said:
For a very rough estimation and experiences from 0.8µm down to 0.18µm processes, I'd advice: total area = (Σ over all (W*(L+2))) * n (don't forget the dummies!)
with n=4 for a not-very-experienced layouter
n=3 for a layouter with some experience (but perhaps not very dedicated)
n=2 for a very experienced and dedicated layouter (unused areas filled with filter caps!)

Very, very rough, don't nail me! ;-)

erikl said:
deepak242003 said:
For a very rough estimation and experiences from 0.8µm down to 0.18µm processes, I'd advice: total area = (Σ over all (W*(L+2))) * n (don't forget the dummies!)
with n=4 for a not-very-experienced layouter
n=3 for a layouter with some experience (but perhaps not very dedicated)
n=2 for a very experienced and dedicated layouter (unused areas filled with filter caps!)

Very, very rough, don't nail me! ;-)

what i think about the factor ( L+ 2 ) is including diffusion extension and spacing.... for 90nm it comes
[.28 ( extension ) + .22 (spacing) ] * 2 ( both sides ) .... gives you 1... this parameters might be more in 180 nm and above so taken as 2... . :)

It really helped. thx..

deepak242003 said:
what i think about the factor ( L+ 2 ) is including diffusion extension and spacing.... for 90nm it comes
[.28 ( extension ) + .22 (spacing) ] * 2 ( both sides ) .... gives you 1... this parameters might be more in 180 nm and above so taken as 2... . :)
Right! The length addition of 2µm is a very rough assumption indeed, but it won't count a lot regarding the estimation purpose, if you think of the big uncertainty re. the multiplication factor n ! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back