Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Checking polarization of antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

itzikhaim

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all!

How can I measure the polarization of antenna near field pattern ?
In matter of fact, the type of polar. is only interested for me (Circular, Elliptic, Linear).

Thanks in advanced!

With a real antenna you can feed it with several mW at the operation frequency from a signal generator, and use a half/wave dipole with a detector diode in it as a detector of polarization.
Holding the dipole in hand on antenna axis and detector connected to a millivoltmeter, you should turn the dipole on antenna axis; if antenna radiates a linearly-polarized wave, the mV meter will indicate a round maximum and a sharp minimum. This test also will give you the correct polarization plane.
If your antenna radiates a circularly-polarized wave, the detector response will stay almost constant on the mV meter while you rotate the dipole.
To find out if your antenna radiates a left or right hand circular polarization, you should then make two small helical antennas , one with RHC, the other with LHC, and install a diode detector at its output (between the helix and a small reflector). Your mVmeter should respond with a higher voltage for the correct circular polarization.
You do not need to make really half-wavelength dipoles if your antenna is specified for a longer wavelength; the method will work , too, only you would have possibly use a higher RF power from the signal generator to get a good reading on the mV meter.

Now depends in what kind of near-field you are. For example in Reactive Near field the Electric-E and Magnetic-H fields are not orthogonal, and polarization is not a meaningful parameter.
Myself, I would go in the far field to measure the polarization of the antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back