Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Checking electronic components

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.N.O

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys
I have some questions in electronic circuit maintenance and I need your help please.
can I check the capacitor and Inductors in circuit by multimeter?
how I can check the ICs in circuit when I don't have datasheet?

thanks advance

if check capacitor and inductor in circuit, probably you don't acquire exact result because other elements have affect to these elements.
what IC do you want to check?

Reactions: A.N.O

A.N.O

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
that is right,but I wonder If I have circuit don't work well how I can know that the wrong in a capacitor or in a second part.

thanks

that is right,but I wonder If I have circuit don't work well how I can know that the wrong in a capacitor or in a second part.

thanks

It is often almost impossible to test installed components in a circuit. First you need the schematic, and with a voltmeter or better an oscilloscope you can test voltages in important points like inputs and outputs. In=circuit testing of capacitors, inductors and resistors is always affected by presence of other components. ICs can be damaged if you try to use an ohmmeter as it can apply dangerous voltages or currents in it.
Schematics, data sheets and experience is a good combination for testing but it often fails. The best way is to compare a good and bad circuit board if you have a chance. Most industrial circuit testers work that way.

Reactions: A.N.O

A.N.O

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
often you can narrow down the possible bad components;

1 - visual inspection
2 - smell !!!
3 - use a multimeter to put components in one 0f 3 groups; believed good, believed suspect, believed bad
4 - pull the believed bad components out, then test out of circuit
5 - if that fails, go after the believed suspect

often you can narrow down the possible bad components;

1 - visual inspection
2 - smell !!!
3 - use a multimeter to put components in one 0f 3 groups; believed good, believed suspect, believed bad
4 - pull the believed bad components out, then test out of circuit
5 - if that fails, go after the believed suspect

thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back