Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging of battery (12V or 24V) by solar panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahbaz.ele

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear all
I want to made solar charging system ither for 12V or 24V battery.
actually i am trying to run load of my home at batteries charged through solar panels.
I have two solar panels
20Watt
5Watt

dear all
I want to made solar charging system ither for 12V or 24V battery.
actually i am trying to run load of my home at batteries charged through solar panels.
I have two solar panels
20Watt
5Watt

Pity you give no technical details, not on your solar panels, nor on batteries.

A typical solar panel can generate 12 -15 V DC, and with it you can charge any battery. If it is a lead-acid battery, you can use a power resistor, 1...4 Ohms, 10-50 W, to measure the charging current. You also should measure the battery voltage, and stop the current if the voltage exceeds 13.8 V (~14V). Be sure you know good specifications of other batteries. Many are sensitive to overvoltage and overcurrent.

The "20W" solar panel is able to deliver a larger current to the battery while the "5W" panel will rather "trickle-charge" the battery.

You can google many professional battery chargers and solar-panel regulators, or you can experiment yourself. Make sure you have a good volt and ammeter and try it!

sorry for late response.
there is no rating written on panels.
the seller said its 150 watt solar panel that gives 12V output.
how to check its current and wattage also.

Solar panels must charge batteries over solar charger regulator. Each solar panels have manufacturer specification for max OC voltage and max current. Usualy 12V panel have voltages 17-19V OC (better panels).

That panel of 150W should be around 8A.

I already give you answer. Connect solar panel over charger regulator. This will eliminate situation of battery overcharging.

sorry dear I do not know about over charger.
can you explain a bit about it.

Its charger regulator, this device regulate voltage given to battery. Regulator receive higher voltage from solar panels, regulate and give to battery voltage in safe range for battery and needed for charging.

Connect solar panel over charger regulator.

Solar panel ---> charging regulator <---> battery

ok I heard it here from some one
its popular name is charge controller here.
thanks dear i will search it in markeet.

See this two examples one for 12V second for 24V:
**broken link removed**

Its shunt based regulators.

Attachments

• !!! Solar Charging Regulator 15A LM358.rar
    7 MB · Views: 156
  • !!! Solar Panel controller 12F675.rar
    790.3 KB · Views: 108
  • !!! Solar-charged battery regulator.rar
    33.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Status