Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charge pump supply for opamp in radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugen_E

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
max232 op amp power

Hello,

I need to make a radio(HF)<->PC interface powered on USB, and I use a double opamp, LM833, to make a differential amplifier. The opamp output goes to PC souncard - Line In, for signal processing.
Because the opamp needs positive and negative supply, and USB has only 5V, I thought I can use MAX232 or MAX202 circuit to generate ±10V.
I try to avoid using an low voltage, low noise, rail to rail opamp, because I cant find one localy. LM358 is quite noisy.

I want to ask if MAX232, MAX202 - being a switching source will interfere badly with the RF portion of the radio, or if it will generate parasitic signals at the opamp output.
I will use an RC filter on the opamp power lines (V+, V-), and the opamp PSRR is quite high (though it is measured at low frequencies).

So, if someone used MAX232/202 in a radio or high performance audio circuit, please share your opinion on this application.

Thanks

usb opamp negative

I want at least to know the switching frequency of MAX232 or MAX202 and what would be the "optimum" switching frequency range to minimize the interference on the radio.

Using MAX232 as +/-voltage inverter is possible, but this circuit is very "noisy" ..
R-C filters may not be efficient enough, so consider L-C versions ..
Switching frequency is apprximately 200kHz, and MAX's internal charge pump conceptual digram is attached ..

Regards,
IanP

Eugen_E

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.