Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CDROM burned from Win2K doesn't read correctly by Sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

edaguy69

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The CDROM I burned by Nero using HP cd-writer 9100 can't be read correctly by my Ultra Sparc 5 running on Solaris 8. The more than 8 charcter file is cut off and modified etc. Do you have any same experience. What's wrong? CD burner, Nero or that's the way it is. Any measure for correction ?
TIA

cdrom cann't be read by sun

Yes, I have burn a cdrom and it cann't be read by solaris, I use nero and use cdrw too!

Re: cdrom cann't be read by sun

What directory format you specify
ISO Level 1, ISO Level 2, Joliet ( Only Windows compatible with Unicode charsets, that may do not compatible with Solaris and other Unix based systems ...) ?

I use ISO Level 2 and Joliet!

Do not use Joliet it is only Windows compatible with Unicode charsets, that may do not compatible with Solaris and other Unix based systems...
Maybe is usable ISO Level 2 with long filenames ???

You may need to update your SUN OS. Search patch over www.sun.com. It fixed my CDROM probalem in SUN.

Use mkisofs under solaris, build iso image from directory, then burn the iso, solaris will read correctly by sun.

CatKing said:
Use mkisofs under solaris, build iso image from directory, then burn the iso, solaris will read correctly by sun.

which solaris mkisofs supported?

it's build-in under sol8, but you can also use it under sol7

spweda said:
You may need to update your SUN OS. Search patch over www.sun.com. It fixed my CDROM probalem in SUN.

which patch specifically for Solaris 7, and 8? Can you give me the direct link.

Thanks

Hi,

Go to www.sun.com, search the recommend patch. Since I use Solaris 5.8, I downloaded 8_recommend.zip. Find the one corresponds to you system. Sometimes, the SUN default shell sh may not work, you need change the default shell to csh. I don't know why.

I fixed this problem by using EasyCD Creator rather than Nero. Change File System from Juliet to ISO9660 and Mode 2: CDROM XA to Mode1: CDROM.

The following approach works perfect for me !

1. Download "CD Everywhere", it supports java so it will be available in Windows/Solaris/Linux/MAC,etc.
2. Use CDEW to create an ISO image which will solve all the long filename problem. i.e, you will be able to see the long filename no matter which OS you go for.
3. Feed the ISO generated from CDEW to any CD burning SW(e.g, CD mate)
4. Wow, you are done with it

PS, mkisofs might not be run under Windows, so u have to go back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back