Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CDF Data conversion & Merging display files in Cadence

Status
Not open for further replies.

quaternion

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
display.drf

I am not sure is this the right place to ask.

What are these? Why they are done ? are they necessary?
The layout drawings has only two colors,how to fix them?

display resource editor layout window black

quaternion said:
I am not sure is this the right place to ask.

What are these? Why they are done ? are they necessary?
The layout drawings has only two colors,how to fix them?

You should read about this in the cadence documentation...

CDF is the Component Description Form, the part of the database that is mostly used for Analog Artist stuff. Much too long to explain here, deals with schematic representation and component netlisting.

The display.drf defines the colors on screen, layers, active layers, etc.
If you only have two colors there's a problem somewhere, are you loading *any* display.drf ?

merge display.drf command

I wanted to start to make layout.

I initiate cadence with the command icms.

When I open layout files of the Kit components from the Library manager ,it opens in a black background , the borders of the different parts(diffusions, vias , poly, ..) are colored in yellow & two white reference lines appear.

But when I creates a layout file using virtuoso ,I get this attached message:

42_1213153850.gif

What does this mean ?

attach library to display.drf

it means that you must find the display.drf file of your kit and follow the instructions in that box to merge it with your standard display.drf

it *also* means that your design kit is not being initialized correctly, because it would take care of this.

what version of cadence are you using ? what design kit ?

are you launching cadence from the directory where the design kit library is ?
try icfb instead of icms (you get all cadence components loaded) and check if your .cdsinit file exists in your home dir.

skill code check library exists cadence

first : I didn't install Assura yet
n1cm0c said:
it means that you must find the display.drf file of your kit and follow the instructions in that box to merge it with your standard display.drf
I have placed the kit in my user folder in the home directory(like other user libraries; my friend told me to do so !), but the folder that I define as a library (as it contains the .cat files )exists within the kit main folder ( files as : display.drf , stream.map , umc13mmrf.tf exit in the main folder which isn't defined as a library).Also models are contained in a separate folder (but simulations are done , although process corners are done manually)

n1cm0c said:
it *also* means that your design kit is not being initialized correctly, because it would take care of this.
1-When I opens the Display Resource Editor (Application = Virtuoso , Tech Lib Name = umc13mmrf ) , Layers = LSW :
I see ==> Fill style = black , Fill color = yellow , outline Color = yellow , . .

2-When I create a new library & attatch it to the technology , I get these in the Log window:
Loading umc13mmrf/libInit.il ...
Loading umc13mmrf/loadCxt.ile ...done!
Loading context 'umc13mmrf' from library 'umc13mmrf' ...done!
Loading context 'pdkUtils' from library 'umc13mmrf' ...done!
Loading context 'FDK130' from library 'umc13mmrf' ...failed!
Loading umc13mmrf/loadCxt.ile ...done!
Failed to load umc13mmrf/libInit.il successfully!loading awv.cxt
Loading oasis.cxt
Loading analog.cxt
Loading asimenv.cxt
Loading spectrei.cxt
Loading label display file for library umc13mmrf
loading cdf.cxt
Design library 'library name' successfully attached to technology library 'umc13mmrf'
*WARNING* dbOpenCellViewByType: Failed to open cellview (L2_M8 symbolic) from lib (umc13mmrf) in 'r' mode because cellview does not exist.
*WARNING* dbOpenCellViewByType: Failed to open cellview (M8_M7 symbolic) from lib (umc13mmrf) in 'r' mode because cellview does not exist.
*WARNING* dbOpenCellViewByType: Failed to open cellview (M1_POLY symbolic) from lib (umc13mmrf) in 'r' mode because cellview does not exist.

3-when I open Display Resources Tool Box, then use Merge ,I get this message:

then after OK, I get this window which I didn't understand how to deal with [what are the source files & destination files?](I have tried but I get failure messages)

When use Edit in Display Resources Tool Box:it opens the Display Resource Editor but it gives me a window that contains a list of packets that were not defined for device display.And conatains the instructions to modify a packet (DIFF , PWEL , TWEL , ..) manually !!!

n1cm0c said:
what version of cadence are you using ? what design kit ?
I am using IC 5.1.41 & umc13mmrf design kit.[main folder called umc_013]

n1cm0c said:
are you launching cadence from the directory where the design kit library is ?
I opens a shell (that initiated at my home dir) & types icfb or icms , and so I am aunching cadence from the directory where the design kit library is .

n1cm0c said:
try icfb instead of icms (you get all cadence components loaded) and check if your .cdsinit file exists in your home dir.
All of the above is done using icfb , no .cdsinit doesn't exist in my home dir but a file with the same name exists in ..../tools.lnx86/dfII/cdsuser

I am very sorry for this long explain but , you know that sometimes a small thing could be the reason for a large problem.

Thanks a lot.

location of display.drf

I never used this design kit.
I think that you are not launching cadence correctly for this kit.

create a design directory, say, test_123 , cd to it. test from the test_123 directory.

do not launch cadence from the design kit library directory, you will not have write access to it, or you will and may overwrite something needed...

in most design kits you must have a .cdsinit somewhere that calls the skill function that sets up cadence to use the design kit. sometimes there's a shell script that one calls , instead of icfb, to launch cadence and start the design kit of the foundry.

the library you use has skill codes attached, to set up the LSW window, etc, but it seems that the design kit has not been correctly started, so when you create new libraries or devices, the skill functions in the technology library fail.
Like,
Loading context 'FDK130' from library 'umc13mmrf' ...failed!

The instructions on how to start cadence and initialize the design kit come from the foundry, you should find it in the design kit documentation. Usually they also provide an example cdsinit file. the one in tools.lnx86/dfII/cdsuser is the example from cadence.

I have seen problems like this, where the design kit loading failed, because of slight differences between the version of cadence used by foundry and the designer. But the design kit was loaded using a cdsinit file, and most things loaded and worked.

fail to load libinit.il

BTW, I did not mention this clearly,

To get the display to work correctly it should be enough to copy the display.drf file from the design kit directory tree (wherever you found it) to your cadence start-up directory (wherever you are when you start up cadence).

Either this to make cadence to load the display.drf file automatically or you should use the Merge option in the menu, as suggested by the pop up box.

This will not solve the problems you are having with the skill functions attached to the library, so I did not write about it in my earlier msg. it seems to me that your design kit is not being launched correctly. Look for cdsinit files in the design kit directory, or cdsinit_local , which should be customized and copied to your home directory (or wherever you launch cadence from).

hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.